keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

UT visit recap

Howdy yall! See, I'd fit right in at UT ;-)


I got back yesterday from my interview visit to UT. Overall, the experience was definitely a positive one. Out of a pool of around 180 applicants (they average 150-200 each year), they selected around 30 of us to come and meet the faculty.


First up, we had a welcome event with current and prospective students. I had to totally set aside any shy tendencies I have...I simply walked up to the first person I saw and introduced myself. (That's basically what I did all weekend lol.) The actual interviews (we each had 3 interviews with a member of the faculty) were pretty informal and felt more like conversations than interviews. The "important" interview was the one with the faculty whose research interests most closely aligned to mine (which, btw, is looking at the experience and impact of racial/ethnic identity development for individuals of mixed-race or mixed-culture background). It turns out that he was biracial as well! Obviously I don't expect this to help/harm me either way, but it was a nice coincidence. He seemed very interested in the subject.


I really enjoyed meeting the current and prospective students. I didn't get to see too much of the city, but I saw a bit of the campus - which is straight up huuuuge! Over 50,000 students; over 300 acres.


Now that I've interviewed it's more waiting. While I feel good about how the interviews went, I don't by any means feel that my acceptance is a sure thing. They should be announcing admission decisions within the next 1-2 weeks....but it's somewhat complicated because an offer could be made to someone who decides not to accept, which would open back up that spot.


I have my other interview 2 weeks from this Friday. I will definitely be disappointed (not to mention embarrased lol) if I don't get into any of the grad schools, but I understood from the beginning that this was going to be a stretch. In any case, I'm proud of how far I've gotten in the process, and all I can do is hope for the best. Que sera, sera!



Today's *big chune* comes from reggae artist Tessane Chin, most well-known for another serious big chune "Hideaway" . She was on my mind because she does lead vocals in the new Haiti tribute song by Caribbean artists. This one is called "Messenger."



:-D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment