keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

what i cooked (and did to my hair) this week

I've been slacking on the food blogging this week. So here's a recap:


This past Saturday I made cornmeal banana pancakes from a Food Network recipe (thanks Emeril!) This particular recipe called for egg whites which gave the pancakes a nice airy texture. It also called from both milk and yogurt, which made them nice and moist. The cornmeal flavor wasn't as pronounced as I was expecting but they were overall quite delish. I definitely plan to incorporate egg whites into some (or all) of my future pancakes.


By the way, have I mentioned that we don't use syrup? Instead, we use a different topping (in the Fall/winter we used a yummy pumpkin butter spread from TJ's...recently we've been using fruit preserves/jam) and always have fresh-made (in Nix's VitaMix) apple sauce. PURE MAPLE syrup is fine but for those of you who use Aunt Jemima or those other "pancake syrups" you may want to check the ingredient labels. Syrup isn't even listed as an ingredient in some....so you're basically consuming high fructose corn syrup. Enjoy!


I also made those muffins I mentioned last week. I just tweaked my quinoa banana bread recipe by adding the following:
- whole wheat flour
- oat bran
- a dried berry mix from TJ's
- walnuts
- yogurt (obv!)

I think that's all I added....they came out really nicely I think. Forgot to take a pic tho! I actually wanted them to be heartier...more like a bran muffin, but I'd definitely need to add much more oat bran for that effect and Nix wasn't really feeling the idea. Next time perhaps.

Nix did lots of baking of her own this week as well! First up, she whipped up a chocolate bread pudding to use up a loaf of french bread that had been in the freezer for weeks. Though she was nervous about it, the end result was quite yummy. With a few tweaks, it will be even yummier!

And the day before yesterday she made her own granola bars! They were great!!! But no pic because I totally forgot...so I'll put one up next time she makes them (hint hint Nix).

We also had to eat real food at some point during the week but nothing too exciting on that front this week. We did have salmon one night with a great marinade from TJ's called Island Soyaki (or something). It was really good!

Ok that's all for food this week. Here's a pic of my hair lol:

No particular reason why...just felt like chronicling the process. I'm a big fan of part- or not-rinsing out the conditioner when I co-wash (condition wash...gettin the lingo down haha) it. It really gives it a better curl and seems to last better throughout the day. Aside from that I've been using the Carol's Daughter hair milk, a gel my stylist suggested (whose name I forget), and.....olive oil. haha

Yay Thursday...and it was actually nice and sunny today!

Today's *big chune* is from my girl Fefe Dobson. I'm generally not a big fan of rockish music, but she just does it for me...and (coincidentally i swear!) she's a fellow Mixie (a Canadian one)...white mom and Jamaican dad. She has a new album coming out this June.


:-D
 

No comments:

Post a Comment