keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

Monday, April 26, 2010

my back-up plan

Right around the time that I was graduating from Gtown I wrote a facebook note about wanting to be a housewife. At the time I was actually semi-serious about this aspiration, but really it was more about what came with being a housewife...the husband and children. I also hadn’t really found a “calling” yet...I didn't feel passionate about any specific career or line of work. Hopefully now I’ve found the field in which I’m supposed to be working -- or else the next 5 years of my life will be for naught lol (but seriously) -- but that's another story.

Nowadays, even though i still have aspirations of being Suzy Homemaker, I’m starting to think that I can do that with or without a man…lol...Anyone seen the new JLo movie (or ads for it)? I saw it yesterday with a friend. In a nutshell, she decides she's ready for a baby, but hasn't met the right person yet. She takes things into her own hands by undergoing artificial insemination. This is where plausibility diverges into "only in a J.Lo movie" (see "Maid in Manhattan", "The Wedding Planner", "Monster-in-Law" etc) land. She meets the perfect guy, they fall in love, he stays with her despite her being pregnant (not by him)...and they live happily ever after. It's a total chick flick so while it won’t be winning any awards, it was entertaining.

It also got me thinking a lot more about something a former flame and I have been seriously joking (yes i realize this is an oxymoron but just roll with me) about...

Let's just say that in about 6-7 years if I’m single and ready for a baby, I’ve got someone in line to be the baby daddy. Sounds crazy right? Ok, now put aside society's expectations... I know only a few people who are in loving, faithful, happy marriages anymore. Would it be that weird for me to have children with someone with whom I have a good friendship, but not necessarily a romantic relationship? I realize the whole situation could get kinda messy and would be hard to explain (to my family, my kids, etc.) but I don’t think it’s as off-the-wall as it sounds at first. And while I do know that two-parent households are touted as being optimal for a child's upbringing, I feel like if I had to choose between not having kids and being a single mother, I'd be able to do a pretty darn good job at the latter.

The older I get the less interested I’m becoming in the whole marriage thing. I do think it would be nice to have someone special with whom to share your life and raise children, but I just don’t know if I buy into the whole “one special person you’re meant to be with forever and ever" thing.


Ok let me put it in terms of Sex and the City characters….I used to be 60% Charlotte, 30% Carrie and 10% Miranda….Now I’d say I’m 75% Miranda, 20% Carrie and 5% Charlotte.

But, Miranda ends up happily (by the end of the first movie at least) married with a son. So maybe my SATC character mix won’t end up too badly after all? haha

Thoughts?

Today's *big chune*  is a super old school Whitney jam...this is like a hidden gem you only know if you had her actual albums...man i used to be straight obsessed with Whitney...at one point or another I've had every one of her albums...and this is one of my favorite songs of hers. I can actually remember my sisters and I singing and dancing along to this song! lol





:-D


 

No comments:

Post a Comment