keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

don't sleep on: Google Reader

Blog Challenge Day 3

I'm not exactly a "techie" but luckily my brother is, and he put me on to Google Reader a while ago. This application is simply awesome. For those of you who follow blogs - especially a large number of blogs - you absolutely NEED this (or whatever reader) in your life.

Here's how it works. Let's say you want to follow my blog ;-) but you don't want to have to keep checking back to see when I post something new, Google Reader will automatically update to show you that I've added something new. This becomes clutch when you have lots and lots of blogs and it's annoying to check each one for new stuff.

To import things into Google Reader, click on the RSS or Subsribe link somewhere on the blog or site you are interested in. Mine is all the way at the bottom of the page. It should open a new tab/window and ask you to choose your reader. Or you can click on the link in the left side of the page that says "Follow" to follow my blog and it will show up in Reader under "blogs you follow". When you want to access Reader, just look for the tab towards the top of your email homepage or igoogle or however you choose to set up.

You can create folders and tags to organize the different blogs you read. For example, I have a "Fun" folder, a "News" folder, and "Work" folder for blogs related to those areas. Another thing I like a lot is that you can "follow" friends and they can follow you, so you can see what they are reading (when they share them) and leave comments. I'm not going to go into more detail because it's pretty self-explanatory from there and you can just play around with the features.

Here's what my Google Reader looks like:



So, have you already been using Reader? Do you love it?! Have you added my blog yet?
Leave a comment if you have questions.

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment