keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

tapping my "happiness reserves"

Gretchen Rubin explains that one of her reason's for exploring ways to boost her happiness was so that when she got that "midnight phone call" she would be better equipped to respond with resilience...or something along those lines...


It's been a pretty disappointing week for me. News is starting to come back from grad schools and it hasn't been good so far. After having not heard from several schools, I contacted them all...this resulted in 2 rejections. Btw, don't you hate the word rejection? It just sounds so mean!! Ugh...


Then, literally minutes ago I got an email from the main faculty member I was interested in working with at UT. He apologized that I've been in limbo and proceeded to inform me that he was very impressed with me, but had gone with someone else. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement...and while I'm proud of myself for having made it all the way to the interview round and actually being in limbo (as opposed to an immediate rejection)...this sucks! There's only so much you can do to make yourself feel better about failure. What's more, I honestly feel like this is the same news I'm going to get from UM in a matter of days. You were really great...but just short of what we need...


BUT I am supposed to be Ms. Brightside so of course I am trying to re-frame all of this and maintain a positive outlook. Maybe I'll get lucky with UM. I'm also still waiting to hear back from a Master's program so maybe that will work out favorably for me. And if it doesn't work out that way, I'll go to culinary school with the ultimate goal of my own show on Food Network  join this program and go teach in Spain for a year   move on to another game plan.


I've always believed that everything happens for a reason...and to abandon that belief because what you want to happen doesn't happen basically defeats the purpose of believing this adage in the first place. So, for now I'll stay hopeful. Luckily I've been happy and blessed recently, so I have my "happiness reserves" well stocked. Of all the problems to have, this one isn't the end of the world....BUT I'm entitled to still feel disappointed and have an extra glass of wine at happy hour tonight.

Don't worry yall, I'm still Ms. Brightside :-) And I'll be back to my normal writing soon!


For today's *big chune* I'm really in the mood for some Anthony Hamilton...one of my absolutely fav. artists..especially when I'm in a melancholy mood lol. This one is "Dear Life" from the movie Step Up (lol).



:-D 


No comments:

Post a Comment