keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. keep your words positive because your words become your behaviors. keep your behaviors positive because your behaviors become your habits. keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

how i spent my weekend

First of all, WTF is going on with the tourney this year?! And wtf were my Hoyas doing last Thursday?! ugh!

Moving right along....

Like most people, I live for the weekend. This weekend did not disappoint. Yesterday, I went to the hair salon for my usual hookup (if any DC-based people are looking for a great one, I go to Perry at Bogart Salon in Georgetown. Note: I don't get touchups here cuz they are waaaay overpriced, but cuts are affordable). I'm trying (again) to go natural and grow out my relaxer, but I haven't gotten very far yet lol. Anyway, as a woman  - and a "woman of color" - my hair is pretty to key to how I look and thus how I feel about myself. And my hair was in desperate need of a trim. Then last night, my friend T and I went to dinner and to see Our Family Wedding, which was cute - not great, but cute. Good time! (Btw, am I the only person who doesn't think Lance Gross is as fine as all the hype he gets??)

Today was especially awesome. Now that I have pretty much recovered from the wisdom teeth surgery, I can eat normal food again. We started off my getting back into our weekend tradition of pancakes. They were yummmmmy! I've been trying to make my own yogurt and ending up with it too runny...not great for eating straight, but perfect for adding to batters (like my pancakes) and to smoothies. I'm going to try and get the yogurt down though! I'll post once I do. 

Then, Nix and I went on a really long, awesome walk and found a new trail/path. Next, we went to Williams Sonoma for their Sunday cooking demonstrations. This week was cakes/cupcakes. OMG I LOVE this store. There is soooo much cool stuff in here. The highlight of the demonstration was the mini-upside-down pineapple cakes. ohhhhh sooooo gooooood.  I also spent at least two hours this weekend browsing food blogs and adding to my Springpad.

Have you seen a common theme here yet? FOOD! As I have sort of alluded to, but not quite admitted, I am obsessed with cooking/baking. You know how most men's tv's stay on ESPN and/or this is the first channel they check to see what's on? Well, for me (and Nix) The Channel is FOOD NETWORK. I am absolutely in love with Food Network. My favorite show is probably Giada at Home. Giada is so freakin cute! And she gets sooo excited and straight-up tickled by everything she makes. I love Giada at Home because she always incorporates something about her family/friends into her show. Examples: Her husband Scott and a friend are going surfing, so they need a nice meal after; 2 friends are studying Italian and have a trip planned so she has them over to introduce their taste buds to some authentic Italian flavor; and her sister brings her son over to have a play date with Giada's daughter, who is soooo freakin cute!!! Another favorite is Iron Chef America. OMG this show is sick. If you've never watched an episode please do yourself a favor and watch it. Man oh man I love this channel.

Given all this, I've decided to start blogging more about my (and Nix's) culinary adventures. I'll talk more about what I'm eating and cooking (including pics!)

Tonight, I made honey/dijon glazed salmon. (Aside, Nix got this salmon free from Giant when she filled a prescription....random.) It was soooooo yummy and so easy! I seared it in a skillet first to get them browned, then finished them off (after glazing with the honey-dijon mixture) in the oven for 10 minutes. They came out perfect!! Nix also put together a concoction of caramelized onions, roasted cauliflower, and crumbled goat cheese. Yum!! (See pic!!!)


When I'm done writing this, I'm gonna start on my revised version of the quinoa banana bread that I made a few weeks ago. Also coming up this week: homemade chili, cornbread (from scratch), homemade veggie pizza, and probably more salmon (Nix got 2 free fillets lol). 

Alrighty, that's all for now. More to come later in the week. 

Today's *big chune* is old-school...I'm actually a big fan of Xscape and you don't know how late I was in realizing that TI's boo, Tiny, was in this group lol. Anyway, this song is Who Can I Run To
  
:-D
 

3 comments:

  1. I love this entry!!! So much fun and I love food too. Mostly I have been eating it. I know what you mean about the hair. I have been having the worst puffy issues due to the weather and my hair is all natural, so you can imagine. If you have any tips for this island weather and how to maintain hair. Let me know!!!! Big hug, I'll keep following. BTW, salmon is the best. I made an alvocado salad that was banging! I'll pass you the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...well my sis has been reading a lot about natural/curly hair care recently b/c she's almost totally grown her relaxer out and just cut off a bunch...She's agreed to do a guest post about what she's found so far and some of the blogs/sites she follows, so stay tuned for that!

    Yes, please send the recipe...i love avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. no lance is not cute i agree..omg i am so jelous of ur food 4real

    ReplyDelete